Dr. Nancy Trun
Associate Professor of Biological Sciences
Pittsburgh, PA 15282
Dr. Trun's Microbiology Superlab is a semester-long laboratory class for Biology majors. It is typically taken in the junior year. There are three superlabs and students must take one of the three to fulfill degree requirements. More »
- Trun, N., Rowe, G., & Seibel, S. Application-Based Service Learning: A multidisciplinary approach to teaching research, technical writing and critical thinking in lab courses [abstract]. In: SABER National Meeting 2013; 2013 July 11-14; Minneapolis, Minn. Click to view meeting webpage w/abstracts attached.
- Woodley, S.K., Anderson, M., Deiner, J., Engle, M., Rowe, G., Senko, J., Trun, N. Incorporating novel research into classrooms using application-based service learning. Poster presented at: The Society for Comparative and Integrative Endocrinology meeting; 2016 Jan. 4; Portland, Ore. Click to view published abstract. Click to view poster.
- Woodley, S.K., and Trun, N. Application-based service learning: Testing a novel pedagogy in microbiology and physiology laboratory courses. Poster presented at: The Society for Comparative and Integrative Endocrinology meeting; 2015 Jan. 3-7; West Palm Beach, Fla. Click to view published abstract. Click to view poster.
Peer-reviewed ABSL publications:
ABSL media mentions:
- Dr. Trun Earns National Recognition for Teaching Methods. Published in: Spectrum: The Quarterly Newsletter of Duquesne University's Bayer School of Natural & Environmental Sciences; 2012 Summer; Pittsburgh, Pa. Click to view article.
- Hare, Krystal. Duquesne Professors Receive Grant to Continue Student-Aided Research. Published in: Pittsburgh Magazine - Great Minds: The hottest topics in higher education; 2012 Nov. 21; Pittsburgh, Pa. Click to view article.
- NSF Grant Puts Students in Midst of Brownfields, Mine Drainage, Other Health Issues. Published in: Duquesne University Times. 2012, Nov. 11; Pittsburgh, Pa. Click to view article.
Isle of Islay photo credit: Susan Seibel