BioSOLVE II Course Objectives
- Complete community service related to an issue for which biological research data may contribute to a solution.
- Explain their participation as biologists via biological research in providing solutions to certain community and global problems.
- Explain the advantages and challenges of their scientific collaborations.
- Generate accurate, reproducible novel scientific research data.
- Maintain an accurate and complete laboratory notebook.
- Interpret their experimental data and explain their conclusions using standard scientific criteria for written and oral communication.
- Prepare a manuscript for publication of research results.
- Prepare and deliver a formal presentation of research results at an appropriate venue.
BioSOLVE II Course Content
- Review application-based service learning and continuing participation in its assessment.
- Review the nature of the specific problem for which BioSOLVE is contracted to help solve.
- Review the accomplishments of BioSOLVE I, both scientific and service-related.
- Complete community service related to the contracted work.
- Carry forward laboratory research to generate novel data, expanding upon the techniques and skills learned in BioSOLVE I.
- Generate scientific reports and communicate results with contracting organization.
- Prepare a manuscript of novel research (in format for scientific publication).
- Prepare and deliver oral or poster presentations of the novel research.